2.01.2012

just a couple of letters...

Dear Utah Winter of '12,

You sure know how to treat a girl. My ability to endure the dormant season has increased over time, but this January may spoil everything. You've raised the bar: I'm going to expect every winter from here on out to be just as mild.

Dear MacArthur,

I've been talking about you to a lot of people lately. Remember when we used to go swimming at the Riverside Country Club, and you would hit on the high-school girls tanning in their bikinis? They didn't quite know how to react to you, but they loved to watch you waddle to the edge of the diving board, perform your little monologue, and throw yourself into the water. I didn't realize how much I would miss your chubby little self. Let's do something together again real soon.

Dear Becca,

Me + You + The Middle of the Dance Floor. Check it. This weekend is going to be fabulous.

Dear Mal,

Thank you for teaching me to be vulnerable. I had no idea what that really meant until I met you, but it is a lesson that will forever change the way I look at myself and other people. I appreciate your willingness to share so much with me. And thank you for having the courage to embrace change. The next few months are going to be so strange, but I have a feeling that they will yield results that neither of us anticipated. I hope you remember that no matter where you go, your friendship will always mean the world to me.

Dear Change,

We are in the middle of a MAJOR love-hate relationship. Thank you (?) for reminding me how comfortable I was -- and how much growing I still have left to do. I just wish you weren't so ambiguous. I like having a plan, you know?

2 comments:

mjm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mjm said...

i love you em! thank you for saying such kind words; they touched me deeply. we were made for each other (as best friends, not daters ;)) and i appreciate having a friend like you on this journey. i look forward to seeing where this change takes both of us.

(cue the train song that we listened to on repeat on that sunday drive that one time...)